Habilitation Centers / Active Treatment

Are there habilitation centers in the UK? What are they called? What is their approach?

In Washington State, we have specific habilitation centers that support individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities who are working through targeted personal challenges to living in the broader community, such as aggressive behaviors, elopement, theft, and the like. These centers provide 24-hour residential care with continuous formal and informal teaching (active treatment) with the aim of supporting the individuals in gaining the skills they need to successfully integrate back into the broader community.

1 Like

I would be interested to know more - and to hear of what people in the UK think is our nearest equivalent. Jeff

1 Like

How are the Habilitation Centers funded and how would you describe the model of care/treatment? Is there an average length of stay? Having a little more information could help us to understand what the model best resembles in regard to the UK. Also, who operates the Centers? Are they private providers?