Study exploring the experiences of young people who have a sibling with learning disabilities or autism

Hi, there. My name is Georgia, I am a Sociology PhD student at the University of Nottingham undertaking a research project that aims to explore how young people who have a sibling with learning disabilities or autism experience their transition to adulthood.

I am looking for young people aged 17-24 who have a sibling with learning disabilities or autism to take part in the study. The study will involve in-depth interviews, lasting around one hour.

To be involved in the study you must:

• Have a sibling with learning disabilities and/or autism. Your sibling must have high support needs. High support needs means that a person needs support from other people to function in their day to day lives. The British Institute of Learning Disabilities defines learning disability as ‘a general term that refers to individuals who find it harder to learn, understand and communicate. Other terms that are used to describe an individual’s situation include complex needs or high support needs’. The NHS defines autism as ‘a condition that affects social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour.’

• Be aged 17-24.

• Not have a learning disability or autism yourself.

• Live or be able to meet in a location that is within a reasonable travelling distance from Nottingham.

If you are interested in taking part or if you would like further details, please contact me by email: Georgia.Todd@nottingham.ac.uk

Thank you.