Continuing Health Care Funding (CHC) Learning Disability

I would like to hear peoples views or experiences of Continuing Health Care for LD adults with complex needs. What are the pros and cons? I am quite worried as my son has just moved over to CHC. He has his own supported living flat and it works well and I am fearful things could change.

My only worry would be that potentially because it’s healthcare they could say they could get cheaper care in a nursing home. My son has split funding part health and part social care. Hopefully a professional with more knowledge may respond to your message.
We were asked to change to full funding CHCF but we refused as whilst he has severe physical disabilities and learning difficulties he still has an active social life. Hope everything stays good for you.

Yes, a move to residential provision on cost grounds is exactly my fear.I too would prefer 50/50 funding but this is nolonger an option locally - it’s all or nothing. Currently, I have been told the NHS does not routinely move LD adults but I feel very uneasy. Social Services preferred option is supported living and it is unusual for a younger LD adult in my area to be placed in residential, however, health is quite different plus my son is possibly nolonger protected by the Care Act.

For all families wondering about NHS Continuing Healthcare (NHS CHC) funding - this guide from the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities may be helpful: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/file/2072/download?token=b_-r9Dtg
It’s four years old now and pre-dates the Care Act, but the basics haven’t changed

I work as an LD social worker in wales. Yes, it would mean that health would lead in determining the placement but it would not affect the most suitable place being found. In my experience the choice of placement would make no difference if it were split or CHC. Plus the benefits to the individual are that they would not contribute to costs. It can be difficult when making a case for CHC around challenging behaviour as most case law relates to physical disabilities.

I have only just joined this forum. My severely autistic brother is now in a nursing home following a severe stroke. He is 100% CHC funded, and we experienced major problems trying to find a suitable placement when he was discharged from hospital. While I have some issues with the place that now looks after him, it is a lot better than many of the places we were told we would have to accept. I was told by a health care commissioner
that now that his physical needs were more important, they did not need to take account of his autism - and that this would justify a far lower staff ratio than he was used to. Be very careful!