Continuing Health Care Funding - Moving Areas - What are the rules?

I have a relative who is receiving chc funding for a care home placement. For various reasons the placement is not meeting her needs. My relative also wants to move to be near me. I am being told the funding can not move to another area.

Does anyone know if this is true or where I can get good advice to help her? thank you

Its nonsense they should complain through NHS complaints service. CHC funding can be given anywhere to my knowledge and in someone’s home it’s the person not the placement who the money is for.

The key here is what your relative wants to do. Like the rest of us they fully have the right to move.

As they want to move to another area, it would be worth speaking to the person/people responsible for continuing healthcare funding at their local NHS clinical commissioning group. Their contacts can be found through the following link:

The body responsible for funding them at the moment often would continue to fund them at their new residence. Like any continuing healthcare funding this will be subject to annual reviews. There may also be some negotiations around the cost of the supports provided depending on the differences in cost between their existing support and their new support arrangements.

The guidance around continuing health care can be found here:

Have you/they considered having a personal health budget? You can get more information about them here:

The HFT Family Carer Support Service might be able to help you. Their contact details can be found here:

I hope this helps. Please do ask for further information if you need to.

Please let us know how you get on.

We created NHS England’s national CHC film explaining the process - theres a full length version and one with a playlist should you want to navigate sections one at a time:

The script for the film has been published on the page also should your relative or family prefer to read through it.

Hope this helps,