Fertility treatment for a women with learning disabilities

Hi All, I am new to this site and was hoping to discuss this topic with professionals who have been involved in supporting a women with learning disability to fulfill her request for fertility treatment and the issues that may have arisen , thanks

Hi Mishka,

I am the policy officer for the Working Together with Parents Network (www.wtpn.co.uk) which supports professionals who work with parents with learning disabilities/difficulties. We have over 700 members from the social care, health, legal, independent advocacy/support sectors so I will happily post your request to our network and see if any of our members can help.
Regards,
Nadine

Hi Mishka,

One of our WTPN members has replied: I am not sure what information you are looking for but we have advocated for parents who have undertaken fertility treatment which was supported by their GP only to then find themselves in a family placement centre because of perceived risks.
The couple are very angry that they were supported to undertake treatment which was a long and painful process only to then have social services ‘steal their baby’. They said they wanted people to be honest with them and not go behind their backs. Hope this helps.

Nadine