Focus Group Opportunity with the University of Bristol

Hi there! We’re a research team from the University of Bristol’s School of Social Policy. We need some help to understand what carers and support workers do when people with learning disabilities visit their doctor. We are looking to run focus groups with the following groups
Can you help us out?"

People with lived experience of learning disabilities
Paid support workers
Unpaid or family carers

We are flexible on dates and times please contact Zoe Jeffery at ts22080@bristol.ac.uk
£10 Amazon voucher for taking part

like Sally Parker reacted to your message:

Hello
i was a full-time sibling carer for 30 years until my sister my sister passed away in 2017 now i am retired i have knowledge of the subjects mentioned in the advert from bristle university research team .
if you think i can be useful, please let me know .
take care
Don

1 Like

Hi @don2 would you like to email me? my address is ts22080@bristol.ac.uk I can then send. you more information about the focus groups, thank you so much for replying to the thread.

Kind regards
Zoe Jeffery

Hello

Can I ask will this be via e-forms/activities as we are a London Service so distance is an issue

Thanks

Vivienne Abel

Tri Borough Business Support/Project Officer

3B Learning Disability Teams

Parkview Centre for Health & Wellbeing

Cranston Court

56 Bloemfontein Road

London W12 7FG

0208 102 3889

Mobile 07393004362

Vivienne.abel@nhs.net

Clcht.triboroughlearningdisabilities@nhs.net

Advance notice of leave :

1 Like

Hello, I care for my learning disabled autistic son. He is non-verbal, so visits to the GP are not usually very successful. Part of the problem is that you rarely get to see your own GP- it is another GP in the practice, who usually has very little understanding of learning disabilities and non-verbal commmunication. Years ago, when you were able to see your own GP, it was better because he built up an understanding of my son.

| UoB-Research
June 29 |

• | - |

Hi there! We’re a research team from the University of Bristol’s School of Social Policy. We need some help to understand what carers and support workers do when people with learning disabilities visit their doctor. We are looking to run focus groups with the following groups
Can you help us out?"

People with lived experience of learning disabilities
Paid support workers
Unpaid or family carers

We are flexible on dates and times please contact Zoe Jeffery at ts22080@bristol.ac.uk
£10 Amazon voucher for taking part

1 Like

Hi @VivienneA We will be holding the focus groups on line would you like to email me at ts22080@bristol.ac.uk and I will give you further information on the project. Thank you for replying to me. Zoe

Hi @Parentcarer thank you so much for your message, would you be willing to take part in a focus group with other parent carers? It will be very small groups so hopefully that will make it more comfortable. I can send you further information and we could set up an initial call so that you can talk to me and get to know me better - then you can make your decision from there. It sounds as if your experiences have been tricky to navigate at times. Many thanks Zoe. My email is ts22080@bristol.ac.uk

@Parentcarer I work for a charity called Mencap and we have been doing a lot of work to try and improve the experiences of people with a learning disability when they visit the GP. Could I ask if your practice has a Learning Disability register and if they do is your son on it?

Hello Beckmen,

The practice does have a Learning Disability register and also identifies carers. However, the understanding/knowledge of learning disability varies between the GPs and the nurses in the practice, and you have to see the GP who is available.

Hello Parentcarer,

Sorry to hear that, being on the register should help for appointments to run smoother. Do you think some training could help with their knowledge and understanding?
I wonder if there is a GP who has good understanding if you would be able to request them for your son’s appointments as you are entitled to ask for reasonable adjustments.