Invitation for family caregivers! We would love to hear about your experiences of compassion

Hi, my name is Charlotte and I am a Trainee Clinical Psychologist. I am looking for participants to take part in my research study as part of my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at the University of Hull.

I am interested in hearing about the meaning and experience of compassion to family caregivers of individuals with a learning disability who have additional needs*, and display behaviours of concern**. There are no right or wrong answers!

*Additional needs may include individuals who receive intensive support, and support with health care, sensory processing, communication, mobility, and daily living tasks. Individuals may have previously received a diagnosis of ‘Severe, Profound and Multiple Learning Disability’.
** Behaviours of concern, previously referred to as challenging behaviour or behaviours that challenge, refers to many different behaviours, some of which may be hair pulling, hitting, head banging, smearing, removing clothes, and a range of other behaviours that might negatively affect the health, safety or quality of life of the person or others around them.

What would I have to do?
The research will consist of an online or a face-to-face interview (your preference!), to discuss what compassion means to you, and how you experience compassion. The interview may last approximately up to one hour. With your consent, the interviews will be audio recorded only.

What are the benefits of taking part?
We are hoping that the research will be helpful in improving the ways that professionals, friends and family members can support caregivers, and provide the best possible support in the future.

If you are interested in taking part or if you have any questions, please email me at: c.n.barber-2021@hull.ac.uk, and I am more than happy to have a chat about the study and answer any questions that you might have.

Contacting me does NOT mean you have to take part, it is completely up to you.

Thank you!