Making an emergency plan

Over many years I have been supporting families to make a plan for emergency situation. Sometimes this has been by working practically with a group of families to get them written or training staff to support families.
In the Thinking Ahead guide, which has a broader range of information about planning for the future, section 7 is Making a plan for emergencies. Some of the ideas could be used now such as writing down information about what would keep a person safe and well should their carers become ill, having a list of important phone numbers of services, family and neighbours. Here’s a link https://www.togethermatters.org.uk/7-making-a-plan-for-emergencies-pdf-2/

There is also a template that you can fill in (you could do this on your computer and share with other people by email to get their ideas and offers of help). Some of the questions will not be so relevant in the current situation but it should be an easy place to start. The template for the emergency plan is at the end of the section but you could also use other templates to gather information that could be useful for a plan (People in my Life, What is important to and important for, Good day-bad day). Here is the link https://www.togethermatters.org.uk/templates-pdf/
There is other information on the Together Matters website that might be helpful so, if you are able to, have a look around www.togethermatters.org.uk . I will post some ideas over the coming days.
If anyone would like more information or support about making an emergency plan please email Christine@togethermatters.org.uk

2 Likes

Really useful - thanks for sharing

Thanks, please share as much as possible!

This is great Christine, thanks

Just to give an update on the resources for making an emergency plan. The information on how to make an emergency plan and the template for writing down information have now been put together into one document which can be found here . There are also a few templates in the PDF to help gather information about a person’s support needs should there be a need for a change in support arrangements.

There are 2 versions. One is for reading on-line, printing and/or filling in by hand. The other is a version with text boxes that can be filled in on a computer, saved and sent to others (this could be for other people to add their ideas or to make sure they know about the emergency plan). Family carers, who don’t have a computer or would find it difficult to complete, could be supported over the phone to talk about what they would like to put in the plan and it could be filled in by the supporter and, with permission, shared with relevant people.
The templates can be adapted to the needs of people using them- they are just a tool to help people think through their worries and put some essential things in place.
I am looking at doing a shorter, easier to read version for the current situation. Please get in touch if you have any thoughts on what would be helpful Christine@togethermatters.org.uk