Making reasonable adjustments for people with learning disabilities in the management of constipation

Making reasonable adjustments for people with learning disabilities in the management of constipation
This report is about constipation, its causes and how it can affect people. It describes recent research findings about bowel management to avoid constipation and the management of constipation if it occurs. It presents a holistic approach to bowel care and management of constipation. The report has links to resources as well as descriptions of bowel management work. Stories from family carers show very acutely the extent to which this apparently simple issue can blight some people’s lives. There is also a shorter briefing paper with the key points.
www.improvinghealthandlives.org.uk/publications/313922/Making_reasonable_adjustments_for_people_with_learning_disabilities_in_the_management_of_constipation

I have situations with my son who has bowel problems with constipation, he has a severe learning disabilty, Autism and challenging behaviour he also suffers with anxiety issues. His health has been poor for sometime and he gets lapses with sickness and mood swings and just lethargic and unresponsive which I am going through this stage at present and epilepsy medication changes. He is under the GP and takes laxatives Lactulose he has tried many options and macrogol powders but they can make him sick it’s a tough area to deal with we get good spells and then it returns especially if he is anxious and medications don’t help either. He has high blood pressure so is taking medication for this also. When he is sick his Epilim chrono tablet comes up I am at present contacting the epilepsy nurse regarding this and he is under neurology. I try to monitor his diet also but it’s not easy.

1 Like

Hi

I am really sorry to hear this but sadly it is a familiar story. I hope there might be something in the report that is useful for you and your son.

Best wishes

Anna

1 Like