Post 16 education

My son has a mild/moderate LD and will be going to college in Sept to study catering - he will be 16 and currently has an EHC. My local authority states that the government considers 22 hours a week to be a full time course - this will give him 3 days of college weekly. But what about the other 2 days - he can not be left alone and I work full time and can not afford or want to reduce my hours. I have asked for help and support regarding additional training, work placements etc but am getting no support from the local authority.

Have any other parents found themselves in this predicament? My son is keen to work and learn but needs additional support to do so. I find it incredible that my daughter, who is studying for A levels is told she must attend school 5 days a week but that my son, who need more education and support is being treated like a second class citizen. Does anyone know the legality of this and how I can move forward? Any suggestions would be welcomed

1 Like

Hi zebidee67

I’m afraid this is a predicament many people find themselves in when people leave school for supported college placements, however the local authority should absolutely support your son to find additional training etc for the other days. This should have been discussed in transition planning meetings.

As a family carer your needs should also be considered and the LA should not be expecting you to reduce your working hours to support your son. Have they offered you a carers assessment?

We’d be happy to discuss this with you in more detail and help you to get the right support in place for you both. You can reach the Family Carer Support Service on 0808 801 0448 (free, from mobiles too). www.hft.org.uk/familycarersupport

Best wishes

Rhianon