Take part in Transition (Preparation for Adulthood) Research Project

Hello! My name is Katharine Slade and I am a PhD researcher at Aston University. We are researching the support needs of parent-carers of young people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and complex health care needs at the transition to adult services.

The project is exploring the journey parent-carers go on when their child with PMLD leaves children’s services and first accesses adult healthcare. In particular we want to examine the impact of Covid19 on preparation for adulthood. If you are the parent of a young person who has left school or had an 18th birthday since February 2020, or will be leaving school in 2022, please consider taking part.

If you are interested in taking part or would like more information please email sladeka1@aston.ac.uk

This study has been reviewed and given favourable opinion by NHS West Midlands-South Birmingham Research Ethics Committee.

Hi Katherine,

I am not a parent but I am the CEO of a charity that support people with PMLD and have 20 years of experience of working with families. I may be able to help.

Maggie

Hi Maggie

Thank you very much for your offer of help. Would you be able to email me at sladeka1@aston.ac.uk please, and then I can answer you directly?

Many thanks
Katharine

Great photo Mags - love to know more about your organisation please? Annie

Hi Annie,

Unfortunately our web site is down at the moment, but work is being done. We have a facebook page. I would invite you to visit but we have stopped people coming in at the moment, due to the increased risk of COVID.

I would be happy to have a Teams call, if it would help.

Maggie

Hi Annie,

Unfortunately our web site is down at the moment, but work is being done. We have a facebook page. I would invite you to visit but we have stopped people coming in at the moment, due to the increased risk of COVID.

I would be happy to have a Teams call, if it would help.

Maggie

Hi Mags - what’s the name of your organisation? I can look you up on social media!
I’m from a group called PMLD LINK and we’re always on the look out to connect with others involved in our ‘PMLD community’.
Annie (ps we’re on social media too!)

Still looking for parents who would like to talk about their experiences of transition to adult services, particularly during the last two years during the Pandemic.

If you are interested please contact Katharine on sladeka1@aston.ac.uk

Hi Katherine,
do you know about the coming RCP Training module for LD physicians?
regards, Dreenagh

1 Like

No - I’m afraid I didn’t know about that. Where can I find more details?
Many thanks for getting in touch
Katharine