Teen with Asperger's syndrome uses art to convey what sensory overload feels like

Source: Learning Disability Today, 5 October 2015

Louis Morel, a young adult with Asperger’s Syndrome and youth patron for charity Ambitious about Autism is using art and animation to convey what sensory overload feels like and his work has gained a following on Youtube and an exhibition next year.

Morel’s artwork follows his animated short that has been viewed more than 22,000 times on YouTube and describes what sensory overload feels like. Using Adobe Flash animation software CS6 and drawing the pictures with his computer mouse, the 17-year-old has created a gallery of animated art that includes individual characters and scenes including ‘Fire and Forest’ and ‘Black and White’.

"Due to suffering from severe sensory processing problems, I can’t leave the house without being in immense pain,” explained Morel. “It hurts like hell to go to any new places or see any new people so instead I go to new places and meet new people in my head and that’s where my drawings come from. I might never be able to visit places like the Grand Canyon or the Niagra Falls but at least I can go to a version of it in my head even though it’s bright pink and covered in cats!

“I’ve drawn ever since I was little, but I only really started getting into it about a year ago. I draw because I like making pretty pictures and I find it therapeutic. Sometimes I base a drawing on two words that sound pretty together, like knives and nightmares, gears and grime, love and life and when I can’t think of an appropriate name I just hammer the keyboard and hope!”

Morel started as a volunteer with Ambitious about Autism’s myVoice project – a social platform for young adults with autism to connect and discuss issues that they all face. He is now a youth patron for the charity, which involves representing the views and needs of children and young people with autism and running the myVoice project.

Prints of the artwork work can be purchased at the Etsy store where 50% of the profits from sales will go to Ambitious about Autism. Morel will also be exhibiting his work at the Click Clock Gallery in Croydon next June.

View more of his artwork at http://louismorel.deviantart.com/gallery/