The role of technology in facilitating support during the pandemic

Dear colleagues, I would be ever so grateful if you could disseminate the following information to anyone you think might be interested.

Myself, Liz Tilley, Louise Wallace, Lorna Rouse from the OU; Shaun Picken (My Life My Choice) and Jan Walmsley are conducting a study to find out how self-advocacy groups are supporting members’ health and wellbeing during the coronavirus pandemic. We also want to find out more about people’s access to technology during lockdown, and how this is affecting what people with learning disabilities, self-advocacy groups, family, friends and support workers can do.

With regards to technology we are particularly interested in learning about: i) how people with learning disabilities and their families, friends and support workers have used technologies during the corona-virus lock-down and the reasons for doing so ii) what factors have made using technologies during lock-down easy or difficult. We are using a broad definition of technology. Typical examples of technology include: mobile phones, tablets, Zooom, WhatsApp, Twitter, YouTube.

We have created an online survey for anyone who supports people with learning disabilities (e.g. parent, carer, support worker, employee of an advocacy organisation) and has used technology to facilitate this support during the pandemic.

The link for the survey is https://openuniversity.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/using-technology-to-support-people-with-learning-disabilit

Thanks in anticipation

Jane Seale
Professor Jane Seale | Chair of OU Education REF Panel
The Open University, Level 2, Stuart Hall Building, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
+44 (0) 1908 858030 | jane.seale@open.ac.uk | @jane.seale | Skype jane.seale

Hi Jane,

We will happily disseminate your survey to our Network (the Working Together with Parents Network). When’s the closing date?

Best wishes,
Nadine

Hi Nadine, thank you so much for offering disseminate my survey. The closing date is 31st July- so still plenty of time.
Kind regards
Jane Seale

Thanks, Jane. We’ll send it out, this week.
Best wishes,
Nadine

Hi Jane - I’ve sent it to local self advocacy groups. Looks an exciting piece of work - can’t wait to see the findings.
Mel

Many thanks Mel- much appreciated.

Hi Jane

The Speak Out Council in Cambridgeshire have run a similar survey. I’ll send you are findings

Best wishes Julia

That would be really helpful Julia- many thanks. Jane

Hi Jane
My email is julia.rutherford@voiceability.org would you be able to share your email address so I can send the info over to you?
thanks Julia