Videos to help school children understand people with learning disabilities

Hello

Some of our adults with learning disabilities walk home near a large secondary school and are finding it intimidating to have to walk through/with lots of secondary school children.

Does anyone know of any videos/CDs/resources that the school could use to help their pupils understand how it might impact on our customers?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi, I work in adult social care training and have recently started working with a group of people who have learning disabilities who have put together some short films called ‘There’s more to me than LD’. They deliver a great presentation in one of my training sessions which includes showing the films. Some of the feedback from their presentation has been that the films would be good to show within schools. They can be found on YouTube or by following this link…

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/socialcare/disability/learning-disability/learning-disability-partnership-board/involvement-matters-team/theres-more-to-me-than-ld/

Hi Tania

I’ve looked at the first two videos and they look perfect for what we want

• I shall watch the others tomorrow! I’ll forward the link to the deputy
    head at the school we are working with, to help pupils understand other
    people.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes

Phil

Phil Mack| Surrey Choices Learning Officer| Surrey Choices | 07713 479696|
phil.mack@surreychoices.com

Surrey Choices Ltd., Noke Hub, Noke Drive, Redhill RH1 4AX

Visit our website www.surreychoices.com

That’s great Phil - The Involvement Matters Team will be pleased to hear their videos are being put to good use. When they deliver their presentation in my training they talk about how every member of the team (who are all represented in the films) have at some point in their lives been subjected to bullying or hate crime. Very sad. More education in schools is needed.

Hi Tania

I’ve shown our managing director your fantastic ‘There’s more to me than
LD’ videos - they are brilliant! Are you happy for us to show them widely
when we are promoting inclusion, working with schools etc.?

Many thanks

Phil

Phil Mack| Surrey Choices Learning Officer| Surrey Choices | 07713 479696|
phil.mack@surreychoices.com

Surrey Choices Ltd., Noke Hub, Noke Drive, Redhill RH1 4AX

Visit our website www.surreychoices.com

Hi Phil

Apologies for the slow reply; I just wanted to check with the Involvement Matters Team. They are more than happy for the videos to be used and are pleased to hear they will be put to good use - if they could be credited when they are used they would appreciate that.

Many thanks for asking

Involvement Matters Team (East Sussex County Council)