Workshops for Berkshire adult siblings - June 2018 - decision-making and managing finances

Berkshire adult sibling workshops

Saturday 30th June 2018 9.30am - 4.30pm

Venue in Reading city centre - 10 minute walk from Reading railway station
Cost £10

Sibs is the UK charity for brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults. Sibs has received funding from Berkshire Carers Service to run a series of information and support workshops for adult siblings living in Berkshire, who have a brother or sister who has a life-long learning disability and/or autism. These workshops will be an opportunity for you to meet siblings in similar situations and to gain more information on the practical and legal aspects of taking over the care and support role from your parent – you may already be doing this or thinking about the implications of this in the future.

Who can attend these workshops?
These workshops are for adult siblings of someone with a lifelong learning disability and/or autism. Due to funding restrictions, only adult siblings who live in Berkshire can attend these events.

At Sibs, you can be reassured that we provide a supportive, non-judgemental and confidential workshop environment. Your questions and concerns will be heard by participants and staff who fully understand what life as a sibling is like.

NB We are not able to admit parents, relatives, partners, professionals or other carers to the workshops.

Workshop: Decision-making and the law
My autistic brother is non-verbal – when he goes into hospital, who can consent to treatment on his behalf?
When my parents die, am I legally responsible for making decisions for my sister who has Down syndrome?
My brother has moderate learning disabilities and says ‘yes’ to everything – but he often doesn’t know what he’s saying ‘yes’ to! This really worries me.

When your brother or sister can’t make a decision, who does? Carol McBride, who is a Sibs trustee and a leading lawyer at Hugh Jones Solicitors, joins a Sibs facilitator to provide valuable information on mental capacity laws and to answer your questions on this topic. You will have the opportunity to meet other adult siblings and share experiences. This workshop will focus specifically on decision-making and mental capacity issues – other topics will not be addressed at this event.

Workshop: Managing your brother or sister’s finances
My sister receives direct payments to pay for her support workers. Will this affect her benefits?
My parents want to cut my brother out of their will because he has severe learning disabilities and can’t manage the money. They said we have to look after his share for him. Is this safe?
My brother has Down syndrome. Do I need special permissions to help him manage his money?

Have these questions and more answered at our workshop on managing finances.
Carol McBride, who is a Sibs trustee and a leading lawyer at Hugh Jones Solicitors, joins a Sibs facilitator to answer questions on wills and trusts, benefits, grants and funding. You will have the opportunity to meet other adult siblings and share experiences. This workshop will focus specifically on managing finances – other topics will not be addressed at this event.

You can attend just one workshop or attend for the full day.

Book a place on the Berkshire workshops for adult siblings at https://www.sibs.org.uk/support-for-adult-siblings/berkshire-adult-sibling-project/