Are you a family carer for someone prescribed psychotropic medication?


My name is Deborah Chinn. I am a researcher based at King’s College London. I am working on an application for research funding to look at experiences of people with learning disabilities and their carers around service users being prescribed psychotropic medication. This is medication that is prescribed for mental health issues (depression, anxiety, psychosis) and to regulate behaviour.

We are keen to have a family carer with lived experience of this as a member of the research team. The research is in the development stage, so there is no guarantee of funding, but we are confident this is a potentially valuable project that funders will be interested in.

If you would like some more information please drop me a line at

Looking forward to hearing from you!


1 Like

Hi Deborah

I am the mother of a young man (25 years old) who has a diagnosis of ASD, challenging behaviour, epilepsy and severe learning difficulties. He has been on risperidone and fluoxetine since he was six years old. He hasn’t lived at home since he was thirteen but I have always been involved in his medication reviews etc. This is a subject I am particularly interested in and am happy to be involved.

I am based in Shropshire, and currently in the final third of my part-time PhD (researching healthcare transitions for young people with profound and multiple disabilities) at Aston University. I have also run a public involvement group as part of my research, which has proved a really invaluable part of the process.

I would be really interested to learn more about your proposed project and would be happy to contribute.

Best wishes
Katharine Slade